Tuesday, January 12, 2010

2010

75 Years ago today I was born in Ames Iowa, the son of two probably afraid 20 year olds. Where has 75 years gone. We ought to try to live well as we can't go back and we probably wish we could do some things over and do better.

I have felt great lately and am getting closer and closer to a restored life. We bought a new Van yesterday that has better hand controls on it that maybe I can drive. It would be fun next summer to pick up the grands and take them to the park to play.

We are going out for dinner this evening to celebrate the 75th. The kids are going to have a todo at a later date on the week-end.

Our son in law is here painting the basement to get it ready for a new renter that I hope we can find soon. Our barn renter is doing well - he has been here for about three months now.

Reading "Hole in our Gospel" by the head of World Vision" about how we Christians have dropped the ball in helping the poor. It is a very disturbing book but I think we all need to read it.

Our Saturday morning men's group is reading Mere Christianity. For me it is about the 10th time and I still thing it is the best Christian Book in modern times. I suggest that everyone read it again and and again. I know a philosopher friend who says he may have read it a hundred times and he taught in a college.

We are having a very mild winter so far. My Sisters in Nebrasks have been covered with almost record snowfall and low temperatures.

Best Wishes and Blessings to you,
Don

5 comments:

dwb said...

Uncle Don-

Happy Birthday! Mere Christianity is a favorite of mine also. Have been paying attention to your other recommendations also. Happy to hear of your new wheels and that you are feeling you are on a good run here recently. Much love, Doug

Anonymous said...

It is a little warmer now but had ice storms last night - schools closed today - solid sheet of ice everywhere. This certainly won't be a winter we forget. Anxious to see you in July. Love you - Margaret Oh ya - Happy Birthday

Chaplain Deanna said...

Happy birthday! I haven't visited your blog in a very long time. I'm glad your life is getting back to some kind of normal.

What is your basement apartment like?

Chaplain Deanna said...

Happy birthday! I haven't visited your blog in a very long time. I'm glad your life is getting back to some kind of normal.

What is your basement apartment like?

Anonymous said...

Hey Don, this is Lich, Aaron's roomate. I was talking to Aaron about Mexico because I'm planning a vacation down there, and need some tips on narrowinig down sweet beaches. If you have any ideas, you can let Aaron know and he can relay it to me. I don't know where I can leave my email securely on the blog.

I like the comment about Mere Christianity, it gives me a lot of motivation to start reading it. I'm not a big reader, I'm trying to change that slowly.

thanks for your time.
Lich.